Thuggdork spreads laughs through community

930
3

Stockton born and raised Reggie “Thuggdork” Galindo discovered his love of making people laugh at the age of four.

At 17, he did shows here and there. In 1997 he began his first serious attempt at stand up comedy.

Since then he has grown into a local favorite, performing at fundraisers and conventions for local organizations.

Galindo said he tries to stay tied to the community. His last sold out show was Feb. 11 at the Empire Theatre in Stockton.

His next show “Thuggdork Unscripted” is July 16, at the Empire Theatre.

Who are the performers that have influenced you the most?
“Everyone says Richard Pryor, but it was him. ‘Live on Sunset Strip’ was my all time favorite. Yet when George Lopez hit the scene it sort of paved the way for Latino comedy to be a bigger commodity,” he said.

Why Thuggdork? Where did that come from?
“THUGGDORK is a way in,” he said. “On the outside, I don’t really look like a comedian; tattoos on the arms and neck. When I look in the mirror I would see a thug but, when ever I made a girl laugh they would always say, ‘you dork.’ Dorks are sexy, funny and friendly so I combined the two but added the “G” in the middle, that’s for GOD. Because he gave me the inspiration and gift, he is always in the middle, the center.”

Do you feel you are at an advantage or disadvantage being from Stockton?
“Advantage. My platform for growth starts in the most miserable city in the USA. Anyone can make people laugh in happy town. I do it where it’s needed the most, the coliseum of misery, Stockton, California.”

Who inspired you to become a comic?
“My mother — RIP — she used to look me deep in the eyes and say I had a gift and that I could be whatever I wanted in life. Despite the external circumstances around me, she somehow convinced me and I owe it all to her,” he said.

Can you describe your home or neighborhood?

“[My] house looked like a chicken coop in southeast Stockton and my neighborhood was super ghetto. Although, I did enjoy my childhood because of the closeness of our community. Being poor makes the greatest material; simple beginnings make for great humility and gratitude,” he said.

What is the main message you try to put out there?

“That each of us was born to do great things with this life no matter the circumstances, no matter how big your life is or how small you think it is each person has their own song to sing,” he said. “Sing it!!!”