Lady Mustangs winning streak,season comes to an end

789
0

The Lady Mustangs were ranked No.1 in the pre-season polls entering the 2013-2014 season.

Delta struggled early in the season losing the first two games in conference play but recovered with a 12 game win streak, and finishing record of (27-6) to capture the conference crown for the first time since 2009.

During the playoffs the Mustangs beat the Chabot Gladiators in a lopsided victory 85-47.

“There was no way we were going to lose that game,” said sophomore Teylor McMiller.

In the Sweet Sixteen, Delta faced a tough Merced Blue Devils team that put forth a good effort, but the Lady Mustangs pulled away in the end winning the game 60-49. The win set up a showdown between the Delta and Big 8 rivals Sierra College.

“This game means so much to us this year, because we been through so much together and it would be redemption after losing last year in the same game” said sophomore Kelci Haueter. Delta won a real close game against Sierra College by the score of 81-72.

The 2013-14 season came to an end on March 15, after the team lost a tough game to defending state champions MT. San Antonio Pirates in the California community College Athletic Association Final Four.

Delta led 46-42 with just over 4 minutes left to play, but went cold shooting and the Pirates capitalized by going on a 9-0 run, winning the game 51-47. Freshmen Salina Moore scored a game high 16 points for the Lady Mustangs.

“Next year expectations will be higher, but were ready for the challenge.” said Moore.