Delta College hosts swim/dive Big 8 Championship

828
0

San Joaquin Delta College’s men’s and women’s swim teams, were hosts to the 2014 Big 8 Championship on April 17-19.

Head Coach Mike Maroney has had much success in his five seasons with the Mustangs.
Maroney’s record with the Mustangs include: 19 school records, 16 All-Americans, five Big 8

Championships, four state champions, one state record and one national record.
His record as a head coah is impressive to say the least.

Swimming is a sport that requires synchronized motion from your arms and legs in order to push the body forward toward its desired destination.

“I started swimming for fun, and then I realized it’s great for exercise too,” said freshman Jeffrey Watt.

Other schools such as American River College, Modesto Junior College, Diablo Valley, Sierra College, Santa Rosa College also participated in the Big 8 Championship this season.

The 2014 swim season for the Mustangs has had a few bright spots, beginning with the women’s team.
Sophomore Tori Dettloff performed well in the 50-yard butterfly, while freshmen Kailie McHugh has posted good finish times in the 100-yard freestyle event.

On the men’s side, freshmen Jonathan Sotelo is impressive in the 50-yard freestyle, and sophomore Connor Ryan has continued to improve in the 100-yard backstroke throughout this swim season.

“This season the swimmers on the team are executing things we practice on very well in the meets we’ve had,” said assistant coach Nate Varosh.

Each team in the Big 8 Conference has one goal at the start of the season, and that is to compete for a state championship.

The 2014 state championship meet is in Los Angeles, and will take place on May 1-3.