Mustangs spring re-cap

432
0

The San Joaquin Delta Mustangs sports teams enjoyed much success and suffered a few heartbreaking moments during the spring of 2014.

With the talent of the players returning next year and the guidance from coaches, expectations for the Mustangs next year are limitless.

MEN’S BASKETBALL: In the sixth season with head coach Rich Ressa at the helm, the Mustangs finished two games above .500 with an overall record of 15-13.

The Mustangs longest winning streak of the season lasted three games, and the teams’ largest winning margin was by 22 points in a home game against Sierra College on January 7.

“We had a lot of ups and downs this season, the team just couldn’t get on the right track,” said sophomore Jerrel Green.The Mustangs advanced to the Regional Quarter Finals, but lost the game 71-46 to San Francisco.

Sophomore guards Nicolus Guzman (15 ppg.) and Alex Simmons (13 ppg.) led the team in scoring, while Green, a forward, lead the team in rebounds (6.2) per game.

WOMEN’S BASKETBALL: For the Lady Mustangs, results in wins and losses were completely opposite from the men.

The team finished the season No. 1 in the Big 8 Conference with an overall record of 27-6, earning the Lady Mustangs a trip to the State Championship game against Mt. San Antonio, on March 14 at Cerritos College in Norwalk.

Unfortunately, the team fell just short of victory losing a hard-fought game by the score of 51-47.

Sophomore Forward Kelci Haueter led the Lady Mustangs in scoring (11.4

ppg.), and Karleasha Thompson led the team in assist (3.8 apg.).

With 15 players on the roster this season, the Mustangs are excited about having half of the team returning next year to play for head coach Gina Johnson.

“I couldn’t be any more proud than I already am with the performance of these young ladies. They left everything out on the court every game and played hard as a team, and that’s all I ask of them,” said Johnson.

BASEBALL: The San Joaquin Delta College baseball team is still going strong just like the club did to start the season.

Delta has made it difficult for opposing teams to play well against the Mustangs at Nick Cechetti Field, which resulted in the team having an impressive record at home, finishing 17-1.

The team’s overall record is 29-9, giving the Mustangs the top spot in the Big 8 Conference this season. Sophomores Wyatt Castro and Matt Valencia contributed in a major way to the Mustangs success this season, from their respected positions on the field.

Castro made a huge impact from his cautious play in the outfield to his relentless attitude at the plate.

He led the team in home runs (5), batting average (.393) and tied for first in RBI’s (31).

On the mound, Valencia posted a winning record of 9-2, a 2.34 ERA and allowed only one home run all season.

“We’ve had a lot of success this season, and a lot of unforgettable moments but we still have our eyes set on the ultimate goal, which is to win a State Championship,” said Castro.

The Mustangs are currently preparing for the CCCAA Baseball Northern Super-Regionals on May 9-11.