Mustang goalkeeper having a breakout season

437
0

This week’s Collegian Mustang Spotlight goes to Delta Mustangs men’s soccer goalkeeper Moses Hernandez.

Hernandez is a freshman majoring in Criminal Justice.

He is playing under new Head Coach Josh Bradley.

NO ENTRY: Mustang goalkeeper Moses Hernandez  prepares to make a stop against American River. PHOTO BY PETER PEANG
NO ENTRY: Mustang goalkeeper Moses Hernandez
prepares to make a stop against American River. PHOTO BY PETER PEANG

Hernandez has been the key player, by making 24 saves in the past four games and helping the Mustangs win four out of seven games he has played in.

During the “Pack the House” event was played on Oct. 3, Moses made key saves by the tip of his fingers to secure a 2-0 victory.

“It’s not just this game, Moses has step up consistently for the past three games making unbelievable saves. He kept us in games. He is starting to become that leader in the team, the guys are starting to form around and now it is an expectation and not just hope,” said Bradley.

Hernandez described the Pack the House event atmosphere.

It was “nervous at the beginning seeing a lot of fans it put pressure on us but it was fun. It is fun to hear people cheer for you when you make a save or goal,” he said.

With the saves, Hernandez helped the Mustangs improve to 8-2-3 and into first place in Big 8 Conference, while also being, ranked No. 1 in goals against average with a .22 and save percentage of .950 in CCCAA rankings.

Hernandez played at Edison High School before joining the Mustangs.

“My friends where playing for Delta, so I decided to go here and play with my friends and see how far we would go,” said Hernandez.

Hernandez favorite soccer player is Costa Rica’s goalkeeper, Keylor Navas.

Hernandez has a message for his fan’s and family following his soccer journey.

“We are going to get this championship for everybody and dedication and hard work is the goal” Hernandez said, adding “when you want something, anything is possible.”

The Mustangs are on the road until the team’s next home game Oct. 17, starting at 3 p.m., which will be played at University of the Pacific’s Gardemeyer Field, where the Mustangs take on Taft College.

Admission is free.

Go out and cheer for Hernandez and the rest of the Mustangs as the team makes a run