Bridging the age gap on campus

675
0

College: The place where everyone can get an education no matter what age.

Yes, no matter how old you are you can always come back and get that education you wish you’d received when you were younger.

Delta College showcases a range of ages.

In classes students’ ages can range from 18 to 30 and up.

“It was very difficult because of the young population,” said Delta student Chuck Wegner.

Wegner is a 54-year-old who has come back to school to pursue an education and continue his knowledge.

Through the eyes of a man of his caliber it’s kind of difficult to come back with young faces around him in class and barely any adults in his age group.

“It’s an experience watching these young adults grow because I see my kids grow up,” Wegner added.

For Wegner it was uncomfortable at first, but after watching the young adults grow, it reminded him of watching his own children grow.

“I think it’s kind of cool seeing older people get a higher education, because it makes us seem more equal to kids in high school, it’s the same, we’re all in it for the same goal and people in college are more serious,” said Delta student Eddy Calderon, 18.

I agree with Calderon, it’s cool for us to be on equal levels with adults since some students are fresh out of high school and still seen as children.

But most important it’s cool to see people in older stages are still going to school and bettering their education and life.

“I think someone in his 60’s and thought him as a student no different,” said Calderon.

In the eyes of Calderon, it makes no difference how old you are but as long as you are there to get an education you will always be considered a student and no different.

So Wegner is a 54-year-old looking to better his education and Calderon is a 18-year-old looking to get that education as well.

No matter how big the age difference is you can always get an education without feeling different around the different types of students.