Movie is ‘50 Shades’ of disappointment

729
0

What did you do for Valentine’s Day?

Did you have a romantic dinner with your loved one?

Or did you sit on the couch with your tub of ice cream while watching “Sixteen Candles”?

Or maybe you were in line with millions of others to see the anticipated movie “50 Shades of Grey.”

The movie focuses on a student Anastasia who interviews a wealthy and emotionally reserved man, Christian Grey.

He wants to know more about her and she wants to know more about him.

But he wants to know more about her so much that he is essentially stalking her.

He finds out where she works and sends her gifts.

Before you know they’re both attracted to each other, and it’s all downhill from there.

They make out in an elevator. He takes her in a helicopter. Then he takes her to a special room to show her his “singular taste. ”But the movie isn’t just about the non-existent chemistry they have. There is a deeper understanding that viewers need to see.

A controversy has been going around well before the movie was announced.

The issue is this book, written by E.L. James, and movie glorifies abusive relationships and it gives the wrong impression for those who participate in bondage and discipline, sadism and masochism (BSDM).

Christian creates a sexual contract stating that he is the dominant and Anastasia is the submissive.

Anastasia is very skeptical of this contract and never signs it, but continues to stay with Christian.

He takes Anastasia’s innocence and uses it to introduce her to new things, which she seems uncomfortable with.

Many viewers said she gave consent, which means that everything they are doing is totally fine.

But it’s not.

During every sex scene in the movie, there is a moment where she looks very uncomfortable.

BDSM and those who do it are very big in safety and comfort for their partners. Dominants are supposed to care for the submissive afterward.

In the movie, it’s very obvious Christian isn’t interested in comforting or caring for Anastasia afterward.

In fact, after most of the sexual scenes, Christian leaves her alone.

Not only is he uncaring toward her after sex, he is emotionally closed off.

Throughout the movie, Christian refuses to let Anastasia touch him or kiss him and he would show no sign of loving emotion to her.

He blames this behavior on childhood events, which is not an excuse to treat Anastasia badly.

What’s worse is many viewers don’t understand the emotional manipulation that is going on in the book and movie, and continue to defend it.

The bottom line is “50 Shades of Grey” isn’t something we should celebrate.

The movie shows that abusive and manipulative relationships are sexy and fun, when they’re not. The film was poorly directed and poorly written. Christian and Anastasia had little chemistry on screen and everything was painfully awkward. The hype before the release of the film made it a huge disappointment. I watched the movie with an open mind, and was severely let down.