Celebrating women making history in today’s world

941
0

Women have come a long way in the past century. For Women’s History Month, The Collegian wanted to take a few moments to recognize some of the incredible women positively using their influence in the world today.

Mary Barra – Barra became the first woman CEO of an automaker company last January.

Just after she was named to General Motors’ top position, she had to face the largest vehicle recall in company history. Her goal in leadership is to bring about a “new GM,” able to regain customer trust.

Sonia Gandhi – Gandhi is the president of the Indian National Congress and leader of the United Progressive Alliance.

She holds an enormous amount of political power in the world’s most populated democracy. Her popularity is proof that nations can overcome prejudice when the person has the nation’s best interest in mind.

Angela Merkel – Chancellor Merkel was elected in 2005 as the first female German chancellor and won a third four-year term in December 2013, making her the longest serving elected European Union head of state.

She uses her power against ISIS by sending arms to Kurdish fighters.

Indra Nooyi – Nooyi is the CEO of the world’s fourth largest food and beverage company, PepsiCo.

She was also instrumental in the establishment of Yum! Brands. Nooyi has been credited with revitalizing the company by increasing PepsiCo’s revenues by over 70 percent.

She improved profits, helped implement unhealthy food restrictions and helped spread the company into foreign markets spreading jobs and business.

Michelle Obama – This First Lady of the United States has been an active presence throughout her husband’s presidency. She has been using her platform to actively fight childhood obesity and promote healthier eating and living styles.

Mayim Bailik – Most known for her role as Amy Farrah Fowler on the CBS sitcom “The Big Bang Theory,” Bailik also has a Ph. D. in Neuroscience.

She has been nominated for three consecutive Emmy Awards in addition to a leading actress nomination from the Screen Actors Guild.

Ellen DeGeneres – The household name, Ellen, made her way to fame through her stand-up comedy. Since her rise to fame, Ellen has been a prominent gay/lesbian role model.

In addition, she is also an animal rights activist.