Delta Students Win Big At SkillsUSA State Annual Competition

1116
0

April 10-11 Delta College students participated in the SkillsUSA State Competition 10 hours away down the state in San Diego.

The SkillsUSA State Competition serves as a platform to showcase the best career and most efficient technical students across the nation.

Delta College (Region 5) were previously the 2012 and 2013 State Champions in the (Welding, MIG) category.

In 2014, there were more than 5,500 students who competed in nearly 100 different events at this expansive event that has enough space to cover 16 football fields in length and width.

The contests these students participate in start locally then continue throughout the state before reaching national levels.

“An event such as this one allows students to network with their peers and add quality experience on their resume, for future employers,” said ASBT Instructor Alex Taddei.

With more than 1,200 judges and multiple organizers, the SkillsUSA Competition is able to have a national event that can accommodate the competing students.

Delta College sent 19 students to participate in the SkillsUSA Competition, bringing home 14-15 medals back to Stockton.

“This is my sixth year attending the SkillsUSA competition and I’ve come to notice that when you challenge these students they always rise to the occasion,” Taddei added.

Fellow Instructors Joey Mac Issac, Scot Martin, and David Thomas also made the trip to San Diego along with the students, lending a helping hand during the competition.

The competition evaluates students performance by industry standards, keeping training related to all employer needs, and also to reward students for their excellence.

The students representing Delta are Medrano, Alatorre, Parker, Posadas and So, have all advanced to the National Championships.

The 51st NLSC will be held June 22-26, in Louisville, KY.

MEDALS AWARDED

Gold

Alfredo Medrano – Industrial Motor Controls

Jacquelyn Alatorre – Restaurant Service

Kevin Parker – Automated Manufacturing Tech

Renee Posadas – Automated Manufacturing Tech

Marcus Edwards – Precision Machining 1

Thia So – Automated Manufacturing Tech

Silver

Jonathan Well – Automated Manufacturing Tech

Mitchell Thompson – Welding, SMAW

Kristen Chavez – Commercial Baking

Ramon Barajas – Automated Manufacturing Tech

Stephen Machado – Automated Manufacturing Tech

Bronze

Tremain Wheaton – HVAC Tech

Joanna Matute – Restaurant Service

Patricia Rodriguez – Culinary Arts