Mustangs advance to super regionals

654
0

GAME 1

Delta’s offense got things going early as the team scored two runs in the first inning and a total of five runs in the first four.

That was more than enough for the Mustangs’ starting pitcher.

For game one, Delta’s Head Coach Reed Peters called on ace Cameron Leeper to get the Mus- tangs started on the right track.

Leeper dominated the competition ranking first in both wins and strikeouts, while compiling a 1.65 ERA during the season.

Leeper took that success into the first game, going eight innings and earning the win.

However, it wasn’t Leeper’s most dominant outing of the season as he gave up six hits, two walks and allowed two earned runs.

“They played hard, they played all nine (in- nings), they gave us good competition, but we got the win,” said Leeper.

Peters said he was happy with Leeper’s performance.

“He wasn’t quite as sharp as he normally is but he definitely battled which he always does and he made some big pitches when he needed to get out of couple jams,” said Peters.

Delta took an early series lead with a final of 5-2.

GAME 2

Delta came into game two with one goal: win.

The Mustangs again took an early lead by scoring three runs in the first as Sequoias’ season begins to dim.

However, the Giants flipped the script and an- swered Delta’s three runs with five runs in the bot-
tom half of the first inning.

Both teams went scoreless for the next five innings until the seventh when Delta begins to comeback. In the top of the seventh, Delta was able to cut Sequoias’ lead to one.
Unfortunately for Delta, the excitement was short lived as the Giants once again answered with two runs making the score 7-4 through seven innings.
The following inning consisted of Sequoias scoring another run resulting in the final score of 8-4.

“I think they know that we’re here to play and we’re not just going to roll over like they might have expected,” said Sequoias’ First Baseman Joey Gal- legos after the game one loss.

Delta starting pitcher, Dean Kremer, struggled pitching 6.1 innings, allowing nine hits, five earned runs and three walks.

Although Sequoias won the game, starter Jona- thon Molina wasn’t much better with a line of 6.2 innings, four hits, four walks and four earned runs.

GAME 3

Delta took the field with dirt-stained uniforms from the previous game as the team aimed to end Sequoias’ season once and for all.

After leaving a runner in scoring position in innings one, two and three, the Mustangs broke through with the first run of the game in the fourth inning by way of a bases loaded walk.

After a rough outing by his starter in the previous game, Peters was looking for righty Rick Delgado to stop the bleeding and get the Mustangs into the next round.

Delgado did that and then some collecting 8.1 innings, two strikeouts, one walk and one earned run, and didn’t give up a hit until the sixth inning.

Delta eventually won the game 5-1 and the series 2-1.

“Everything was working, I had my curveball, I had my slider, I had my change-up. I just figured I have to go after them, see what they got and it worked out,” said Delgado after his outing.

“They are as advertised on the mound, their pitch- ing is very good and if they hit enough, score enough runs then I think they have a chance to go far,” said Sequoias’ head coach Jody Allen.

The Super Regional Round will take place today through Sunday. Delta will host 11th ranked Cabrillo College at Nick Cecchetti Field.