One-time megastar still tours amidst old controversies

815
0

In a generation where songwriting skills are diminishing and auto-tune is taking over, R&B legend R. Kelly still represents the true meaning of American music with his talents as a vocalist, producer and songwriter.

Kelly has sold millions of recordings and has written classic songs for himself and other talented musicians.

Songs including “I Believe I Can Fly,” “Ignition” and “Step in the Name Of Love” are popular in playlists.

Kelly played a concert at Stockton Arena on May 1.

A trio of other music artists performed alongside Kelly at the event.

E-40, the well-known rapper from the Bay Area, was bringing the house down with Kelly.

Adrian Marcel, a singer from East Oakland showed off his amazing voice for the night. Loyal followers of Marcel heard of him from his hit single “2 AM” which put him in the mainstream spotlight.

The third artist was Eric Bellinger who is an R&B sensation and could possibly carry on the genre when Kelly calls it quits.

Bellinger is the grandson of former Jackson 5 songwriter Bobby Day.

Bellinger also writes songs for other artists, and continues to record songs for his loyal fans through his Born II Sing mixtape series.

Delta College student Andrew Sanchez was in attendance.

“It was definitely great to see a legend performing in our city, a lot of people were in attendance and got their money’s worth. The other artists were just as good as R. Kelly on that stage,” said Sanchez.

Another Delta College student and concert attendee Derek Zeer said: “R. Kelly has always been controversial but I look past that and enjoy his music. A lot of artists have made mistakes, but people still listen to their music.”

A legendary music artist like Kelly performing in the Stockton Arena is huge for the city.

Kelly’s performance here can sell the idea to other famous music artists of performing in the city.